Meekness and Ancient Greek War Horses Part 1

The practical meaning of meekness has always been a bit elusive to me. It is generally defined as quiet, gentle, and easily imposed on; submissive. Some associated synonyms are mild, weak and timid. In the beatitudes (Matthew 5:5 ESV) Jesus states, "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth." I have never really had a vibrant and full-bodied grip on this concept of being meek.

This summer while serving on staff with icc (intercultural communications course at JAARS headquarters in NC) my co-facilitator and friend Inah shared with the staff a devotional on humility and meekness. It has transformed the way I understand and interact with meekness. She introduced us to the word Praus which describes Ancient Greek war horses. In Ancient Greece wild horses were gathered up and trained for battle. When a horse was declared Praus it meant the horse was meeked and could be trusted in battle:

"to be meeked was to be taken from a state of wild rebellion and made completely loyal to, and dependent upon one's master... to be taken from an atmosphere of fearfulness and made unflinching in the presence of danger." -readjourneymagazine.com 

Put another way meekness means power under control. Ultimately these horses were, 

"fierce - lost none of their strength, effective tools in the reins of their masters, capable of feats no wild, untrained horse could stand." -readjouneymagazine.com

Inah shared this information with us then got down on her hands and knees and started crawling around on the staff room floor to act out her best horse-self. She said, "this is me going along until I come into a battle then I rear up on hind legs to get a better view." Next she questioned us, "what have I done?" she paused then answered, "I've thrown my rider off!" She went on to explain how she often wants to know what's going on and if she should continue.

I was riveted by how succinctly she illustrated my own behavior in times of struggle or suffering or confusion. I want to know why and for how long. I then demand to know why and for how long! For much of my life I have acted in this way. Recently I came across this profound truth from Francis Chan, "Most of (us) want to worship a God who is obligate to explain everything to (us), until it sits well with (us). (We) feel that we deserve...that He is obligated to explain why. And I'm telling you that's just not how it works."

This paradigm shift in my understanding of meekness has cracked open my soul with ideas like these:
  • righteous responsiveness 
  • willing submissiveness
  • strong self-restraint
  • active - not passive
  • courageous - not timid
  • restrained - not excessive
  • steady courage
I don't know a lot about horses, in fact I was never a girl who longed for one of my own. I appreciate their beauty and grace and those luminescent soulful eyes as much as the next person but aside from a trail ride or two I don't have much experience with them. I do know they can spook easily and might kick you if you carelessly approach them from behind. This idea of wild horses being trained into meekness (Praus) with a rider ignites my imagination. The relationship between horse and rider requires time and trust and great care. They must spend significant time together forming a solid bond. Trust is earned day by day. It amazes me that the horse can be so responsive that the slightest muscle movement from their rider is felt then acted upon. The horse and rider can move as if one. A concert of kinetic communication and precision. The horse becomes less concerned with where they going or what they are doing but more centered on who is with them in the process of going and being.  

When I think of meekness in light of my relationship with God and I am seared to my very soul by scripture illuminating fresh insights. One example is of Jesus in John 5:19 NLT saying, "I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself. He does only what he sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does, the Son also does." Jesus is exemplifying complete submission to his Father. His life on earth sang of his total trust and obedience to his Father. He stole away early in the mornings to meet with his Father. He listened and responded day by day. He being an equal part of the Triune God placed himself completely under his Father's control. Even in the garden of Gethsemane foreknowing the agony and suffering he would soon be enduring "...he (Jesus) fell with his face and on the ground and prayed, 'My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.' " Matt 26:39 NIV 

I get it! Meekness isn't weakness or timidity but instead it's placing everything I am, all my strengths and talents and willfully and wonderfully submitting them to God. I need to be with Him, I need to trust Him completely. He gets to lead. I get to follow. 

The song I am singing in this season of life is called Praus. I want to be taken from an atmosphere of fearfulness and made unflinching in the face of danger. I want to be loyal to and completely dependent upon Him. I want to be capable of feats otherwise impossible. I long to be a fierce and effective tool in the hands of my Master. I want to be centered upon Him who is leading rather than being anxiously concerned with my current circumstances. I want to be trusted for battle. The melody of this song is on repeat and weaves its way throughout my days and nights of late.



Comments

Unknown said…
Alace,

Beautifully written with a grace of truth that penetrated my heart.
I now have a new appreciation of what it means to have and be meek.

Thank you for sharing that special devotion from your staff member.

Blessings on all you do, in Jesus Name!

David Perlaki,MA,LPCC-S.

Popular posts from this blog

COVID 19 positive in the remote equatorial rainforest

You think you know a guy...

to mask or not to mask...